Period poverty causing West Australian girls to miss school
By Marnie Adams, Contributor @ Kids In Perth 16 Nov 2021
Title: Period poverty causing West Australian girls to miss school
Can you imagine your daughter or young girls experiencing the indignation of going to school without the protection of tampons or pads because their household can't afford these basic hygiene items?
To their long-term detriment, many young girls are choosing to skip school to avoid embarrassment.
Thankfully, this problem has a label, it’s called Period Poverty.
In Australia, young girls experiencing Period Poverty and, without access to menstrual hygiene resources, can miss up to 20% of the school year.
Starting in Term 3 2019, in a $20.7m initiative spanning over 3 years, Victoria was the first state to ensure every government school student has universal access to free sanitary products by installing vending machines in every public primary and secondary school.
Early in 2021, South Australia and New South Wales followed suit by announcing similar 3-year trial programs.
By encouraging positive conversations and support in the community for Period Poverty as a cause, local charity Period Aid Project and Autobahn are working to solve this socio-economic issue so young West Australian girls and women will never have to skip school or work because they don't have enough tampons or pads to get by.
Find out how you can be part of the solution below.
Period Poverty | by the numbers
In a survey among 125,000 respondents*, it was found:
- Close to 50% of respondents admitted to missing at least 1 day of school because of their period.
- 74% of respondents found it hard to pay attention in class because of lack of proper sanitary care.
- More than 1 in 5 Australians use toilet paper, socks or other unsuitable alternatives to manage their periods simply because they can’t afford pads or tampons.
- Around 50% of respondents admitted to wearing a pad or tampon for more than 4 hours because they didn’t have enough products to get by.
*Source: Share The Dignity | sharethedignity.org.au
Get behind the cause | what you can do
Donate tampons & pads at your nearest Autobahn
Autobahn Locations around Perth
Donate tampons & pads at your nearest Autobahn location.
Follow the Period Aid Project on Facebook
Stay up to date on latest news such as online petitions to sign, through to, newsletters.
Current Autobahn specials | looking for a mechanic?
- Operation Test and Visual Inspection
- Drive Belt Inspection and Adjustment
- Vacuum Test
- Temperature Test
- Cabin Filter Check*
- Vent Operation Test
PLUS a Complimentary Summer Safety Inspection
For your chance to win a $100 voucher from Autobahn, simply click the link below.
Competition ending in...
Get in Touch
35 Capital Rd, Malaga WA 6090
(08) 9209 2908